Tuesday 9 September 2014

Top Results, Ups & Downs In a Run of Races - Rd.7-10

5 weeks ago I did my last post and I haven't been lazy, we've just had 4 races on the trot since then! All  of them had their challenges, starting with Oulton Park seeing us a have a difficult race to only take 16th, followed by my least favourite track; Cadwell Park getting 19th.

We then headed to Silverstone, one of my favourite circuits - a real high speed Grand Prix track where we actually featured as a support race to the MotoGP weekend. We tried a setting we've been wanting to try in qualifying conditions to try help me get higher starting spots, but unfortunately our gamble never paid off, and even ended with a chain snapping out of the final hairpin. I had to start 25th but fortunately Dan, my crew chief, gave me an awesome race bike and I managed to get up into 15th and have a go for 12th on the last lap! We had great pace and looked set to eye out another top 10 from so far back on the grid until two riders tailing me made an attempt to pass me inot the final hairpin, sending us all off wide and demoting us to 17th by the flag. It was such a close race and hard riding, it's just a pity we could grasp another top 10.

On to Donington Park we went, which was our most recent race last Sunday, and at the track I took my first British win on in 2012! I was really looking forward to this round as I knew we would have good pace here, but unfortunately my luck from these past couple race followed us here too, seeing another ride crash right in front of me at the start of qualifying, which left me no where to go other than straight into his bike and crash out. I got in one warm up lap which was just enough to get us 26th place, so once again I had my work cut out to try reach the top 12 again, but in this class that is full of good riders, that's a major test! Fortunately the bike was setup well already so we didnt have to change too much for the race. I went out in morning warm up to try the settings on old tyres and we ended 15th, which is where I should've qualified!

I took up my 26th spot and waited for the lights to go out. When they did, I managed to get one of the best opening laps I've ever done, getting straight up into 19th by lap 2, and was in a position to chip away at chasing down the top 15. I kept edging away the gaps and making passes to move up to 15th place with 3 laps to go! I met Canadian, Ben Young; Aussie, Davo Johnson and Englishmen Ashley Beach & Mike Booth.

A race for 14th place with past race winners was on! I worked my way through to the front of the pack as we crossed the line with one lap to go, but then a big crash from Davo Johnson brought out the Red Flag, which ends the race one lap back, which placed me down to 15th - I wasn't happy at that but nonetheless we were back in top 15 and scoring points from a 26th place start!

Top 15 is our minimum goal these days, but top 8 is where we should be finishing, and with two rounds to go, we still have opportunity. We have a 2 week break now, after which we head back to Silverstone GP and will hopefully be in for a more relaxed weekend!

It's been a very hectic past month and a bit so I'd like to say a big thank you to Mark, Dan, Ian and my whole MWR Kawasaki team for everything, and to my sponsors Rocket 88, Leatt Protectives and of course Mom & Dad! Along with our team sponsors Pawson Commercials and Spur Steak & Grill, without all of you it doesn't happen!

I'm going to enjoy a little rest now before we get back to the prep work for the final rounds!

Cheers for now,
James


























No comments:

Post a Comment